Sunday, November 9, 2014

The Thristy Games

Yesterday it was pretty nice for a November day, sunny and warm.  Of course today that all changed pretty quick being Calgary and all.


This was what I was greeted with Sunday morning.  It's cold and going to get colder later in the week.  The weather forecast is talking about -20C lows and with the wind chill it will feel more like -30C.  I spent the day inside watching movies and playing video games.  And what a better way to stay warm than with a warm drink in my brand new Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part I mug.


I was filling up at Petro Canada last week and saw they have a promotion for Hunger Games mugs.  I figured I'd get one because I'm all about stupid promotional crap like this.  They had a poster up talking about "Collect them all!" but when I went to pick one out they all looked exactly the same, black with the movie logo on the front.  I just grabbed a random one.  The mug sat on the kitchen table for a few days before I actually looked at it and noticed they had logos on them that would be revealed with a hot drink was inside.


The heat revealing logos are pretty cool, but the fact that the mug is plastic is pretty lame.  It just seems cheap and gets hot pretty easily.  If you ever drop it I guess you don't have to worry about breaking it.


The logos appeared pretty quickly and really stood out, the picture doesn't do them justice.  After adding the water the mug also produced a foul toxic plastic smell.  We're supposed to drink out of this thing?  I didn't wash it beforehand, so maybe actually washing it would make a difference.


I'll admit I've never read the books watched the movies, so I don't really know anything about the series or the districts which have their logos featured on the mugs.  I know my mug is probably the lamest one, it has a spool of thread and needle on it.  Where are the bad ass districts with skulls and crossed swords/guns and stuff?


The logo on the bottom of the inside of the mug is a nice touch, although still sucks it is a plastic mug.


Maybe one day I'll find the movies on DVD at the thrift store for $2 and I'll finally see what the big deal is all about.  Maybe the thread and needle guys are cool, but I doubt it.

No comments: