Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Did you know?

That April 29th is National Canadian Film Day?  I didn't, but I do know after reading an article about it on Yahoo.ca.  If I had known sooner I probably would've made an effort to watch a Canadian film in celebration of NCFD.  Next year I will, so please don't forgot to remind me.

If you visit the National Canadian Film Day website they have links to where you can view Canadian films totally free of charge!  Don't worry it's not all crap, so do yourself a favour and at least check out Meatballs, Videodrome or Bon Cop, Bad Cop.

In other movie news, during Easter week Cody was back in Moyie, so that meant I could watch any (and I mean ANY!) movies I wanted.  Cody only watches art house movies and stuff, so it was a nice treat to watch "my" movies.  And just because no one asked, here is the list of stuff I watched in Cody's absence.

Skyline - I think was released in theatres at one point.  It seems a like TV movie just with better effects.  PS - Aliens attack!  PPS - You don't need to watch this movie!

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl - I haven't seen this movie for so long, possibly in the last time was in the movie theatre.  It was nice to go back and watch it again.  Each movie seemed to get worse and worse, but At World's End was awful.  I kept checking the time every 5 mins wondering when it was going to end, but unfortunately it was 169 minutes long.

Wizards of Waverly Place: Alex vs Alex - A TV special.  The DVD has the last episode of the TV series on it as an extra which was nice because I never caught it.  Now I can finally have some closure in my life!

Buddha's Palm - A crazy Hong Kong martial arts fantasy film.  I could you give a synopsis, but it wouldn't make any sense and you probably won't believe me anyway.

Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance - Neon Genesis Evangelion was a Japanese anime series which has been made into three(?) movies.  It uses the plot of the series, but they animated everything from scratch and it looks awesome!  One character kind of seemed to appear, then disappear and then reappear again at the end, so I'm not sure what was going on there, it seemed like maybe some scenes were cut.  I don't know.

Oblivion - Olga Kurylenko is pretty.  That is all.

The Myth - A Jackie Chan movie that I never bother to watch and now I know why.  Now I just have to watch The Tuxedo and The Medallion to complete my circle of shame.

Space Pirate Captain Harlock - I already wrote something about this one.  Check my earlier posts.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice - Nicolas Cage + Jay Baruchel = Instant classic.

Minority Report - FAIL!  I bought this at Cash Converters where I also buy a lot of my other movies and I got flim flammed!  I went to watch it and it turned out to be a bootleg and an absolutely terrible quality bootleg at that.  It looks like a fourth generation VHS copy that someone filmed with a camcorder of the movie on the TV.  See for yourself.

Most scenes looks a lot worse than this one.  I just used this one because for some reason there was a "p" on the top left hand corner.  ??

Patlabor: The Movie - Another Japanese anime movie this time about cops with big robot suits aka "Labors" .  There is a live action version of this coming out soon.

War of the Worlds: Goliath - Colossal disappointment!  I had read good things about this 3D Blu-ray of a 2D animated movie, but they were all lies.  The story was pretty weak and the animation was pretty crappy.  I know it a smaller budgeted movie, but most animated shows on TV look better.  Also, the sound was effed up on my Blu-ray with dialogue sometimes seeming a second or so out of sync.  Boo.

That was all I managed to watch before Cody got back.  We watched a couple movie upon his return.

Morgan Stewart's Coming Home - An 80's teen comedy starring Jon Cryer and Paul Gleason plays the bad guy.

King Solomon's Mines - Another classic from Golan Globus.  I haven't seen this one for a very long time, it holds up better than I remember it.

In closing I'd like to say to not to forget to remind about National Canadian Film Day next year.  Thanks.

No comments: