Saturday, October 5, 2013

Saturday night

Back before my last trip to Cranbrook I stopped by Melodyia records and bought a new Nirvana LP.  It wasn't the In Utero anniversary edition because that hadn't come out, but I bought a new Nirvana bootleg.  After all these years since Kurt's death and they're still bootlegging Nirvana stuff.  It has been sitting on my shelf because I haven't had time to listen to it yet and I almost forgot I had it.  I gave it a listen this afternoon.


It's the "Saturday Night Not-So Live" album.  I'm pretty sure there already was a 7" bootleg that had the Saturday Night Live stuff, but this one is a 12" with a bunch more stuff on it.


The track listing is as follows for side one:

  • Smells Like Teen Spirit (SNL January 11, 1992)
  • Territorial Pissings (SNL January 11, 1992)
  • Heart Shaped Box (SNL September 25, 1993)
  • Rape Me (SNL September 25, 1993)
  • Lithium (MTV Music Awards 1991 complete with Axl shout outs)
And side two:
  • Pennyroyal Tea (Withdrawn Re-mix)
  • In His Hands
  • My Sharona
  • White Lace and Strange
  • Suicide Samurai (Anorexorcist)
  • Blandest
  • I Hate Myself & I Want to Die
  • Verse Chorus Verse
  • Spank This
I've already heard and seen the SNL/MTV stuff on side one, so I bought the album pretty much for side two.  I wanted to hear Nirvana's version of My Sharona.  Who doesn't?   Don't worry it's just as rough and dirty as you'd expect, too bad they don't do the entire song, they only get about a quarter through it.  The other songs are cool too, but since this is a bootleg the audio quality leaves a lot to be desired, the side one stuff sounds fine though.  Then again Nirvana can sound just as good whether is a studio track and a rough bootleg.  The sound quality wasn't too much of an issue as this is a cool listen no matter what.  I need to dig out my Nirvana CDs now.



I did notice the track listing on the back lists the second SNL performance as September 25, 1995.  That's wrong...right?

Random pic of Kurt and a kitten.

No comments: