Sunday, January 6, 2013

Hot dawg!

I got the weekend off and instead of sitting around watching movies and playing video games I actually went outside.  Of course, all I did was go eat greasy junk food, but I still had to go outside to do it.


I have been aware of Nathan's Famous for more than two years, but haven't gotten around to eating there because it's way out in Airdrie.  Those couple times I went out there to work I could see it from the highway on my drive and thought I should try it out because they don't have in Calgary.  Nathan's is that hot dog place that started on Coney Island and also have that big hot dog eating contest.  The location in Airdire is co-branded with Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips, so you get both menus in one place.


I got the Cowboy Dog which has bacon, ground beef, beans, onions and barbeque sauce on the dog.  It was a bit messy eating, but I didn't get any on my shirt so that was a plus.  I surprised myself on that.  The hot dog itself was a bit of a let down especially coming from a place that is supposed to be "famous" for it's hot dogs.  I guess I can blame it on Airdrie and hope the real deals dogs out in NY are better.  I liked the fries and like that they come with a plastic fork too.


I was still hungry so I went back for dessert and looking at the pictures on the menu I asked for a sundae.  The kid taking my order told me they don't have sundae's so I asked him what was the thing on the menu that had whipped cream, chocolate sauce and a cherry on it.  He said it was funnel cake and that's all they have for desserts.  Then I asked him what funnel cake is and he didn't even know, so some other lady working there told me it's a deep fried pastry.  I figured I might as well try it, and since this story has gone on too long already, it wasn't that good.

All in all, I was disappointed in Nathan's as it wasn't that good considering the drive all the way out there.  The items on the menu look pretty good (except the dog with sauerkraut) and they even have lemonade and orangeade as drinks.  Isn't orangeade just orange juice?  I did like the fries and even though mine were plain you can get them with chili, cheese and other toppings on them.

I would eat there again if some one else drove all the way out there, I drove all the way out there and someone else paid, or they opened one in Calgary that wasn't so far.  If I wanted to eat a real man's hot dog I should just go to Tubby Dog down on 17th Ave where you can get a hot dog with Cap'n Crunch cereal on it.  It's in the heart of hipster territory, so I think I'm not even allowed in there.

 
PS ~ When I got home I played video games and then watched a movie.

No comments: