Friday, January 25, 2013

Cake walk

I was out buying some groceries and I grabbed a Dr. Oetker's pizza for dinner.  BTW does anyone know exactly what Oetker's doctorate is in?  Anyway, I was reading the back of the pizza box and it had a coupon for some new Dr. Oetker's product.


So it's a cake that you make inside a coffee mug and "cook" the microwave all in five minutes?  Awesome, I gotta try this!  Of course it turns out I waited a bit before I ate the pizza then I cut out the coupon and set it on top of the microwave and forgot about it for a bit.


Eventually I did remember my coupon and picked up my Dr. Oetker's Mug Cake.  Each box contains packets to make two mug cakes and comes in Chocolate Sensation and Caramel Sensation.


The instructions and pretty simple, but you don't need me to tell you that I screwed it up. I know you know I did.  The first step is to "grease a standard mug" but it doesn't say what viscosity or grade of grease to use.  I wasn't sure what to do, so I just used margarine.


I greased my mug, added my milk, mix and stirred it up.  Now to "bake" it.


It doesn't look as fancy as it does in the photo, but I followed all the directions, so it should work right?  It still looks so plain, it needs something more.  But what??


Bacon icing from Gummi Boutique!  Since the box contained two packets I made one and then had Cody eat it first to see if it killed him or whatever.


Good thing I made Cody try his first as only half the cake was actually cooked.  The top half was cake and the bottom half was brown goo which is probably why it didn't rise much.   The instructions said to microwave it for 1:15 minutes, so when I did mine I put it in for longer.  Unfortunately, I still didn't put it in for long enough as the bottom quarter of it was all goo.  Also, I thought the bacon icing was gross, it tasted too bitter.

What a letdown!  The mug cakes didn't turn out and even the bacon icing was gross.  Dammit, I need some Crave to cleanse my palate.

No comments: