Monday, October 29, 2012

Story time

When I was back in Cranbrook last week and Willie and I went up to Kimberley we were disappointed that the thrift store there wasn't open.  Not content to go home with only a picture with a R2-D2 fire hydrant we stopped at the thrift store in Marysville and hit the jackpot!


We found a bunch of old storybooks and they still had their cassette tapes and records. They actually had a bunch of them, Willie got the classic Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back while I got five(YES!).  The Star Wars Colors and Shapes actually had three books in the baggie, but only one book had the record still in it.  I gave Willie one the extra books, so now he knows his colors and shapes if he didn't already. 


These are the other books I got and the Tarzan bag had two books and records in it.  The best part was that they were super cheap.  The box that they were in said $1.50 each and I thought that was crazy cheap as it was.  When we went to pay for them the old lady asked how much they were, so we told her the box said $1.50 each.  She said "Are you sure?" and I thought it was going to be more, but then she ended up charging us only $1.00 each for them.


Whoever owned the storybooks before we did took pretty good care of them as they all had tape on the spines of the books to protect them from falling apart.  Even though it's on crooked!


All the books still had their corresponding records or tapes with them and the ones that we were on records had a bonus cassette.  The previous owner even transferred the stories from record over to cassette as to probably save the record from wear.  It worked because the couple records I got were in mint condition.  It like how they used "heavy duty educator cassette" which probably means they recorded the stories on cassette with one of those portable cassette player/recorders and placed near the stereo while they played the record.  I should probably try listening to the cassette to see what the quality is like.


Once I got back to Calgary I dug out my storage box of storybooks, so I could add my recent finds to my collection.  I have all the books with records bagged as to not lose the records and keep everything together.


I have all the old classics like Star Wars, ESB, ROTJ, Raiders, Temple of Doom, the Black Hole, Tron and more. 


There was a Story of Asteroids?  That one is still mostly still sealed in the original wrapper and I'm not opening it, so I guess we'll never hear or read it.


Pretty much all of the books in the box above I had found at thrift stores or flea markets.  The nice thing about the books and records is that the books had a storage sleeve at the back for the records.  The books with the cassettes lack the storage obviously, so they are mostly liked to be incomplete.  A couple books I don't have tapes for, but I have more than a couple tapes with no books.  This is only one box of tapes as I have more buried somewhere back at my parents' house.  I wonder if they ever made storybooks on 8-track?

Here is a fun fact!  Back in the day when I had my old crappy colouring book website I had a dream to make a website that had all the old storybooks on it along with the accompanying audio.  You could flip through the "book" looking at the pictures and then listening to the audio for each page.  I even got Cam to record a few storybooks from cassette over to CD to get me started.  My web programming skills were pathetic back then(still are!) as I never finished that class I took at COTR, so I lacked the know-how as to put everything together.  Still I was a great idea!

1 comment:

WiLL said...

They might have had a stereo like my parents did. You must remember it, it's how we got Puff The MAgic Dragon onto the Reefer Madness 2 soundtrack. Anyways, it looked like a piece of furniture and it had AM, FM, Record Player, Cassette player.