Sunday, September 16, 2012

Star Wars in cookie form

As posted earlier this spring I didn't get to the Calgary Comic Expo this year despite having a ticket.  Once I got there the ridiculous line up going out of the building and down the block scared me off.  Since it's now fall that means it's time for the other comic book show in town, the Red & White Calgary Comic & Toy Expo.  This one has been around a lot longer, but it's always been pretty small which is nice.  It is always on a Sunday and since I usually end up working on a Sunday I asked the day off a month in advance.  Then my parents told me they were coming up for my birthday.  But the comics!!  For some reason my parents thought it would be a good idea to bring Logan and Avery. So while my mom, dad and Avery went to Costco I took Logan and we checked out the comic show.

The show started at 10am and we got there just after that and there was a line to get in.  I've never had to wait in line to go to this show before, I've always just walked up and paid the admission.  The line moved pretty quickly and once we got in it was busy, but not crazy busy.  It was nice to see a lot of people there.  There seemed to be more hipster types mixed in though.  A few people were in costume including some people dressed as Gears (that's soldiers from Gears of War) and their costumes looked pretty nice.  We also saw Batman, the Joker, Catwoman, Black Widow, Darth Maul and a disturbing Darth Vader furry.  I was disappointed by the lack of Stormtroopers.

Lots of crap from toys, movies, the Star Wars Holiday special, funny/nerdy t-shirts, collectibles, food, and of course comics.  Funny thing is that I never even bought a single comic book.  Don't worry that doesn't mean I didn't buy anything.


River City Ransom rules!  There were not one, but two different tables of people selling these art things made from little plastic circles.  Logan got a Pokemon one from the one table and I bought Alex from the other table.  I liked mine because it is also a magnet and you know my fridge loves magnets.  I asked where is Ryan and they said they sold out.  The show had only been going an hour and they already sold out.  That was a bummer and it would look a lot cooler if I had the set of both dudes.  Still I'm guess I'm lucky as he was the last one.  You can't tell the size in the picture, but it's pretty big.


Alex is on my fridge, so you see how big he actually is.  They also had lot of NES inspired ones like a Fire Mario from Super Mario Bros complete with fireballs.  I wonder what this particular new craft is called and how hard it is?  Maybe I can make my own Ryan.


Remember these?  In a post I did this summer I talked about going to the Sunnyside flea market where some crazy guy was selling M.U.S.C.L.E figures in a bag marked $5 each.  Turns out that guy had a table of toys at the comic show and when I asked about the bag of Muscles they were actually $1 each not $5 which is a little more reasonable.  I guessed there had to be about 15 dudes in the bag, so I decided to splurge and get the whole bag.  Logan also got some Pokemon figure that was $3.  I told the guy I would take the bag of Muscles plus the Pokemon figure and then he tells me it would be $8.  Nice going on the math there buddy, but I'm not going to complain.  Later once I got home I counted the Muscles and there were 18 of them in that bag.


The lady that's always there with the homemade chocolate pops was back.  The first time I walked by her table she had the Vader and Chewie choco pops, but once I got some change and went back they were all sold out.  I got some Star Wars sugar cookies instead.


I'm not really a fan of sugar cookies, but these ones weren't that bad.  Maybe the awesomeness of Star Wars made them better.

I almost got a button that a picture of Fonzie on it with the words "Sit on it."  Maybe next year...

5 comments:

mike said...

Alex was the coolest anyways.

Those are called fuse beads or Perler beads.. I think you need an iron to melt them; good luck with that.

Keef said...

An iron? Like this:
http://images-of-elements.com/iron.php

or this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_%28golf%29

Either way I don't get it.

mike said...

No, an Iron, like the one Cam got me with when he was supposed to be 'baby-sitting' haha..

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/designpics/designpics1011/designpics101101426/8241982-iron-burning-clothing-item.jpg

mike said...

Ah-hahaha;
http://www.spritestitch.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/rcr.jpg

Keef said...

Barf!