Monday, August 6, 2012

Why can't I have nice things?

I had to work the closing shift on Saturday and when I was driving home after work I took the back way home.  I stopped at a stop sign and across the street somebody had left a CRT TV and a printer on top of it beside the sidewalk.  I went to work on Sunday and when I came home at 5pm I drove the same way and drove past the TV again, but this time the printer was gone.  Somebody took the printer, but not the TV?

Cody had went and pre-bought tickets to go see The Dark Knight Rises in IMAX for a Monday matinee.  Dennis was also coming and we had to pick him up.  Dennis lives near us and going to pick him up meant driving the back way and past the TV.  I was like, "If that TV is still there we are totally taking it."  The old CRT TVs are good if you still have and use a VCR or play old video games.  Watching VHS tapes on a new LCD TV just make them look like crap, same goes for playing old video games.  The graphics weren't the best back then and seeing them on a HD screen just hurts your eyeballs.  The old CRT TVs are still good for enjoying "classic" forms of entertainment media.  Anyway, long story short...it was still there!  And we took it!


We pulled up beside it and I told Cody to pop the trunk, but when I picked the TV up it weighed a tonne and I instantly remembered how huge and heavy those damn things were.  It wasn't fitting in the trunk.  I had to stuff it in the back seat of Cody's car instead where it took up 2/3 of the back.  I was a nice about it and let Dennis sit in the front while I rode in the back with the TV.  It was a decent 27" Toshiba and it still had the remote.


When we got home I nearly gave myself a hernia carrying it inside and immediately set about seeing if it worked.  It turned on which is a good sign, but the remote didn't seem to work.  I hooked up my VCR to it and it worked.  I was pretty jazzed, but the old VHS tape looked like crap, so I grabbed my old PSOne to see if it looked better.


It didn't!  The fuzzy messed up VHS tape just hid the fact that there were horizontal lines across the top of the screen.  I guess a free TV on the side of the road is too good to be true.  Now I'm stuck with a big heavy TV that doesn't work.  Tomorrow I'll have to drag it out to my car and take over to Best Buy where they have an e-cycle drop off.  Or I could just get up in the middle of the night and put it back where I found it.  What to do?

No comments: