Saturday, August 18, 2012

Hippy hippy shake

Today we went over to Nelson for a few hours and it was only a few hours because there isn't much there to look at.  Unless you want to look at new age alternative hippies with dreadlocks and multi-coloured hair then you'd be there all day long.  There was some dude busking playing a digeridoo.  Get a job!  Then buy yourself some soap!

Nelson also still has a incredibly old school Dairy Queen that doesn't even have any indoor seating.  You stand outside and order at a window.  I think that's kinda cool, but do they operate in the winter?  Who is going to stand outside in the cold and order a Blizzard? 

When we got there we parked off downtown and walked down main street.  There were a couple OK stores including a candy store when I got some stuff for Cody's birthday.  That will be another blog.  I even went to two thrift stores.  I always imagined the thrift stores in Nelson would be like totally picked clean and only have a couple things hanging on the racks because the hippies are too cheap.  I was surprised that the Salvation Army had a lot of stuff in it. 

My mom always likes to eat at the the Main St. Diner, so we ate at King's instead.  Hey Mom, try new things.  It's a little more "street" and a lot more greasier than the Main St. Diner.  I ate there like way back in 1998 or so and the place looks EXACTLY like I remember it did.  My stomach was doing weird rumbling things after eating there.  I survived though.  After that we went to a real store aka Wal-Mart.  It was the highlight of the trip for me.

I guess downtown isn't that bad as you could just sit there all day and look at all the different people.  It's a nice change from the Cranbrook rednecks.


We went over (and came back) on the big ferry.


A bunch of change thrown down on the edge of the ferry.  There was a loonie down there! I need a magnet and a piece of string.


Hilarious article in the Nelson paper.


Score!


I went into some old store that was selling collectibles and junk including a MacGuyver bag(it actually had the MacGuyver logo embroidered on it) and some old corroded batteries.  Unfortunately, I didn't get either as I had already spent all my money on tea.


A pirate ship in the water off the Chahko Mika Mall.  They were inside pillaging Wal-Mart.


The trip back on the big ferry.  I can see my house from here!

No comments: