Thursday, August 16, 2012

Danger! Danger!


I got to Kootenay Lake this afternoon and it's going to be a long three days.  The TV doesn't work!  I guess they used to get CBC, but even that's gone now.  Good thing I brought some DVDs.

Right beside my parent's place is the old Pilot Bay smelter which started operations way back in 1895 and only ran for 14 months before being shut down.  Despite it the fact that it didn't maintain operations for very long there are still very obvious signs it was there and some not so obvious signs as well.

What an obvious sign might look like.

The BC government finally got around to put up these warning signs after 115 years.  What's the rush?  My dad always thought it was a piece a history, but now it's just hurting his resale value.  I like how it says you need written permission to go on the land even though people were walking down from the road just tonight and my dad said there were a couple boats and like twenty people over there a couple weeks ago.  I'm sure they all have heavy metal poisoning now.  Next time get permission!

No comments: