Sunday, June 24, 2012

Put up your Dukes

Last time I went home I gave Logan a bunch of books I had bought for him at the thrift store.  He likes to read, so I guess it's good to encourage him to do it instead of playing video games or watching TV.  Although, there is reading involved in video games.  Anyway, I had bought some Star Wars books, the novelization of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade as well as some classics from my childhood such as the Hardy Boys, The Three Investigators and Gordon Korman.  I gave him a stack of books and he read them all in less than a month.  I've been looking around to get some more and the Bibles For Mission thrift store near my place is pretty good because kids books are only 25 cents each.  I had picked that place clean, so I went way out of my way over to the ghetto of Ogden and went to the Salvation Army there.  Here is a fun fact for you, Bob's Hamburgers (remember that place?) is right in the same small shopping area and unfortunately is now closed, RIP Bob's.

I was pretty disappointed by the lack of kids books and the lack of books in general at that particular Salvation Army.  If that place can turn up some Goonies glasses (remember those?) it should at least a few decent books.  I didn't find any books for Logan, but that doesn't mean I can't look for stuff for myself.  Good news everyone, I found stuff!  I got an American Eagle polo shirt, a SW themed Domo t-shirt (which may or may not fit depending on how washing goes) and the coolest thing I found was The Dukes of Hazzard card game.

Yeehaw!

The box is all scuffed up and faded, but all the cards are accounted for and it still has the instructions.  I liked how it has the "From the makes of UNO" on the front of it, like that carries a lot of weight to the card game buying public.  When I read that I was thinking, "How old is UNO?"  The Dukes card game is from 1981, so it's obviously older than that.  After a quick look up on Wikipedia I found out UNO was developed in 1971.  Another fun fact!


These are the instructions on how to play the Dukes of Hazzard card game and it sounds too complicated for me due to the fact that you need paper and a pencil to play it.  Basically you put down your cards gaining and losing points in the process.  The first player to make it to 500 points is the winner.  The game can be played by two to eight players.


The deck is divided up into different types of cards and you've got the "Good guy" cards in Luke, Bo, Daisy, Uncle Jesse and Cooter.  But why no General Lee?  The General Lee was the main character of the TV show.

 
Cuff 'em and stuff 'em.

The "Bad guys" cards are Boss Hogg, Rosco, Cletus and Flash.  I like how Flash got her own card.


These are the action cards you would play to screw up your opponents.  There is Hogg Wild, Speed Trap, Road Block, Hazzard County Clout, and Parking ticket.  How come the cop on the road block and parking ticket cards doesn't look like Rosco or Cletus?  They are the only two cops in Hazzard county!

Even though I only paid 49 cents for it, the going rate on eBay seems vary greatly with the lowest being $9.00 and the highest going all the way to $39.95.  I'm not going to sell it, so it looks like it's time to pack this game away in a box with all my other crap I've bought at thrift stores. You've got to be pretty cool like Mr. T or Flipbot to get shelf display time around my place.

No comments: