Thursday, June 7, 2012

Asstro Command from Uranus

I finally got around to finishing Saints Row 3.  I've finished all the story missions, but I still have to complete all the activities and challenges.  I'll give it a shot, but I'm not sure if I'll get around to it as some of the activities are pretty hard and I'm short on skill and patience.   But you can expect some more crazy screen caps sometime in the future.

Yeah, nowadays it's all about the big name franchise games like Call of Duty or Skyrim, but let's take a trip back in time when video games were still in the infancy.  The year is 1987 and Radio Shack had just unleashed this monster upon the public.

ASTRO COMMAND

I can't believe that this used to qualify as a handheld system.  Sure, you can hold it in your hands, but you have to set it down on a flat surface to play it, so it's more of a tabletop system.  Anyway, I found this at Value Village on Tuesday and I know you are all curious, but it's also where I picked up the Chuck Norris action figure.

I remember these batteries! 

Even though it still had batteries in it, it didn't work but probably because the batteries have been inside it since 1987.  It was only $2.99, so if it didn't work it might still make a nice retro paperweight.  It was pretty dirty and the bottom was really sticky where some tape or something had been stuck on it.  It cleaned up pretty good except the damn tape residue.  I tried some Goof Off, but that actually made it worse and messed up the finish which pisses me off.  The battery compartment cover still has some reside on it that I haven't tried getting off yet.  I read cooking oil works, but does anybody have any other ideas?

Stunning HD graphics circa 1987

I bought 4 new C batteries and put on then in and hit the power switch and was greeted with the worst/cheesiest sounding bleeps and bloops.  This was great because it means that it actually works!  The poor picture doesn't do the graphics justice, it's a shame.  Okay whatever, that's pretty much what it looks like!


Once the machine is turned on you can press the "SELECT" button to choose the difficulty setting from 1 to 4.  Once you're ready press "START" to begin.  Your ship is on the left side of the screen with enemy ships coming at you from the right hand side.  You can move in all directions with the joystick while shooting at ships with the "MISSILE" button and using the "BOMB" button to take out ships that are below you.  I played it for about five minutes and said, "Well this is awful." and put it aside.

I won't be playing it, but I will definitely keep it.  It will look real nice next to my Alien Attack game from Tomy.  I somehow acquired this from Jeff Patterson many years ago, but can't remember the exact details.  Anyway, it's mine now, too bad Jeff!

No comments: