Monday, April 9, 2012

Stuff I...

It's been pretty slow around here, but I'm sure you already know that by the lack of posts.  The one post I did make was about how I have a hole in my bed sheets.  Yep, riveting stuff.  There still isn't anything cool going on, so I'll have to fall back on another uninteresting blog topic, "Stuff I ate".

Sometime ago I wrote about how Old Dutch brought a favorite potato chip flavor of mine from when I was a kid, Mexican Chili.  Now Old Dutch are bringing over the Mexican Chili flavor to their taco chips.  It's sounds awesome, but it's not that great mostly because Old Dutch taco chips aren't very good to begin with.  The awesomeness of Mexican Chili can't save these tacos, so stick with the classic Mexican Chili rippled potato chips.

I thought I had a picture of the bag of taco chips, but looks like I forgot to take one.  I didn't like the chips enough to go out and buy another bag just for a picture.  Next time you are at your local grocery store just walk down the potato chip aisle and check out the Old Dutch section and you will see them.  Hey, this post is getting interactive.


This one is a little late as Easter is now over!  Everyone loves Cadbury Creme eggs and if you don't, then what is wrong with you?!  This year Cadbury expanded the Creme egg theme to cakes.  The chocolate cakes are oval (egg) shaped with the classic creme egg filling inside and are surprisingly good.  I'd tell you they are so good that you should try some, but I'm not sure if you can find them any more.  I bought mine a long time ago and haven't seen them since.  Maybe next year?

Frubob?  What a weird name.  It's a fruit drink that has floating fruit bits in it or as the label says "The Natural Fruit Float".  I bought a mango flavor at Co-op and liked it enough to get a pineapple as well that is still in my fridge.


Okay, those things weren't very interesting, but I saved the best for last with a meat product you cook in the toaster!  I was shopping at Co-op and was walking by the frozen aisle when I saw a box said Tillman's Toasty Pork Snitzel and had a picture of two things popping out of a toaster and I was like "No way you cook that stuff in a toast!"  I had to try it.

Damn right I bought it and looked up with Tillman's website when I got home and got the whole story.  "Invented" by a (surprise!) German guy, it took two years to develop because there is lots of science and engineering behind it.  I bought the pork snitzel because that's all they had, but it also comes in chicken, egg & bacon as well as garden vegetable.


I guess the only way to cook it is in the toaster because that's the only way the instructions tell you on the box.  All you do it crank the temperature setting to max on your toaster and put in it.  When it pops up, start eating!  It's actually not bad considering it came out of the toaster, but the first time I tried it I couldn't really tell it was pork.  I knew it was some kind of meat product, but it was hard to tell.

I bought the pork at Co-op and checked to see if they had any other flavors, but haven't been able find anymore Tillman's Toasty's at all.  I found all four varities in the meat department at Safeway and have since tried the chicken and egg & bacon.  They aren't bad and I'll eat one once it in a while usually in a sandwich, but sometimes by itself.  According to the Tillman's website you can also use it as pizza topping or chop it up in a salad.  Wow, it is so versatile.

After I tried Tillman's Toasty I saw a commercial on TV for Jane's who have a chicken snack that you cook in the toaster and my sister told me you can get similar items at M&M.  It's like out of nowhere the whole toaster meat product scene is exploding!

5 comments:

Cara said...

I was just at Walmart today and I saw a huge display of the Cadbury Creme Egg snack cakes...in the meat department. Maybe you can put them in the toaster, too, like your pork tarts.

Just thought I would let you know, but lord knows why anyone would want to buy them since Creme Eggs are so gross.

Keef said...

Dear Cam,

Get a new fiancee.

Yours truly,
Keith

Cam said...

No way, this means I will get to eat 100% of the Creme Eggs that find their way into our home.

mike said...

Dear Cam,
Answer your phone.

Sincerely,
Your favourite brother.

ps. Keith, I was sorry to hear about your sheets. You should see if Mom will let you have our Return of the Jedi set..

Keef said...

Mike, I have a big Rubbermaid tote filled with all kinds of 80's bed sheets. I've got Star Wars, Empire, ROTJ, the A-Team, He-Man, and a bunch more I can't even remember. (Note to self: this is a future blog post when I get back to Cranbrook next) I'm saving them for some unknown reason.

Maybe I should downgrade my bed to a single? I mean it will only be me sleeping in it and it will take up less space in my room.