Thursday, February 16, 2012

Right in my eye!

On February 23 I'm planning on going back to Cranbrook for a few days.  While I'm there I'm hopefully going skiing.  Logan and Avery are getting pretty good and I hear Avery is a total maniac on skis.  He gets off the lift, starts going and doesn't stop until he either crashes or gets to the bottom of the hill.  He doesn't wait anybody.  I still don't all have my own equipment, so I'll have to use my dad's skis and boots, but everything else I do have. 

The one thing bugging me about going skiing (other than breaking my legs) are my glasses.  I can't wear my glasses under my goggles because they won't even fit and I'll look totally uncool.  Yesterday I went to Iris, the most expensive glasses place ever, and asked about getting some contacts.  They tested my eyes and set me up with some disposable contacts because they are something I don't plan on wearing all the time.  I have never had contacts before just because I'm not all that exciting about touching my eye balls.

When I got around to putting them in or trying to put them in for the first time it was a little frustrating.   The guy at Iris explained how to do it but I was blinking at the last second, or the contact was catching on my huge eye lashes.  I started with the left eye and it seemed like it was taking forever and I couldn't get the damn thing.  I almost gave up.  Then I switched to the right contact and after a couple tries I actually got it in.  Success!  I went back to the left side and managed to get it in too.  They felt okay, but my eyes were tired now from all the poking.  Getting them out was a piece of cake and I wish putting them in was that easy.  I took me about 20 seconds to take both contacts out.  Well if putting them in is so hard, taking them out has to be easier.

They gave me a few trail pairs to see how I like them.  If they work out I can get some more, if not I can try a different type of contact.  I'll be attempting to put them in later on today, so hopefully I can pull it off.  At least I know taking them out is easy.

6 comments:

mike said...

Wait for Cam, He'll know.

I dunno Keith; first you pee blood and now you're sticking your fingers in your eyes.. just doesn't sound very fun, that's all I'm saying.

Keef said...

Contact lens fail! I tried putting in my contacts this afternoon but was unsuccessful. I got the right one in on the third try, but I couldn't get the left onE in. I dropped it once and it took me 5 mins to find it. I got pissed off after a while and just gave up. I CAN'T DO ANYTHING RIGHT!

mike said...

Can't you tell between the runs and the trees without your glasses?

Or else get a pirate patch for your left eye..

Keef said...

I probably could, but it would be nice to be able to see upcoming bumps and dips. I could go right off and cliff and wouldn't know it until it's too late. Good thing there are no cliffs in Kimberly.

Cam said...

When I put my contacts in (which I haven't done in a loooong time), I tilt my head straight down, touch the lens to my eye, then move my eyeball around in a circle to centre the lens, then blink a couple times. Hold your hand underneath in case the lens pops out when you do this.

I'll see if Cara has any pro-tips to add, she does this every day.

Keef said...

Interesting technique Cam, I will try it.