Friday, July 2, 2010

CBK wrap up

I got back to Calgary on Tuesday, but you are only hearing about it now because I'm lazy.  Cranbrook was the same as always, but it was good because the weather was nice and I even got a little exercise.

On Monday night my parents and I went to Sakura, one of three sushi places in Cranbrook.  Sakura is in between the Mt. Baker and Pages in the same place where Midorak used to be.  The service was good, the food was brought out quickly and it tasted okay.  It was quiet as first, but got busier and noisier as dinner went on. 

The other sushi places are in the Mt. Baker and Cranbrook Sushi is where the old Taco Time used to be.  The funny thing is that my dad said some guy from Neno's says Cranbrook Sushi has the best sushi he's ever had.  I was like, "Some grease monkey from the auto body shop says it's the best he's ever had?"  That's a ringing endorsement if I ever heard one.  Cranbrook also an East Indian restaurant called Taj Mahal inside what is left of the Cranbrook Mall.  My dad wants to go there next.

Me and Willie went to Liquidation World aka LW while I was back.  They actually had some cool music/band t-shirts, but not in any of the sizes I wanted.  They had 3rd Bass shirt I almost bought and for some reason there was a Girugamesh t-shirt in there.  Girugamesh are a Japanese visual kei band, so it was weird to see that in there with Kayne West shirts.

I bought a variety of Jolt goods including gum and some energy drinks.  I would've liked the gum to have like a berry flavor instead of mint and spearmint because that's too much mint!  Anyway, two pieces of Jolt gum is the equivalent of one cup of coffee.


I 'm sure you guys (Mike and Cam) have heard about the now infamous deer attacking a dog and cat in Cranbrook.  Somebody filmed it and put it on YouTube and it has over 1 million hits now.  It was on the CTV news here in Calgary.  It starts out funny with the cat climbing on a fawn and basically biting it on the head then the deer takes off and beats down some dog.  Then as the deer smells the cat, the cat takes a swipe at the deer, so the deer lays the smack down on the cat. On the news the mayor was saying he isn't against a deer cull and with this YouTube video bringing in unwanted attention it might happen.  All those rednecks got guns already, so just let 'em have at 'er.  I was reading in the Townsman before this even happened that Fish & Wildlife were meeting with city council to see what can be done about the urban deer.  I guess they'll be under added pressure to come up with some kind of solution to the problem.  BANG BANG??

That was my trip.  I'll probably head back to Cranbrook at the start of August hopefully.  I keep bugging my dad to buy a canoe for the lake and I said if he did I would come over.  I'll let Avery do all the paddling.

1 comment:

WiLL said...

Fubuki Sushi is apparantly top-notch, but expensive. They even have a couple of the private rooms you always see in movies. Low table, people kneeling or sitting on the floor, sliding doors, you get the drift. Then comes Sakura. Then comes the Baker(I had the dynomite roll and some tempura'd veggies just the other night, solid!) and finally, finally, Cranbrook Sushi. My friend Albert didn't want to judge a book by it's cover, thinking that if he knew little english and wanted to start a sushi place in Kelowna, for example, he'd probably name it Kelowna Sushi. But yeah, it was not good. As for the deer thing...they were here before us. They are in the city because we're expanding into the forest and they have no predators. WE should learn that if you see a mother with a fawn, put the video camera away and leave it alone. Also, I feel for the dog but it wasn't on a leash like it's supposed to in city limits.