Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Great Outdoors

On Saturday, my dad wanted to take Logan and Avery on a hike.  We couldn't take them on one that was very long or one that was a long drive to get to.  I suggested we go up Perry Creek to Richmond or Goldrun Lake.  We ended up going to Richmond Lake which is a 1.6km hike one way AND the site of a geocache that Mike, Lynne and I put there.


The hike was a little harder than I remember with some steep spots.  Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, but when you have a 3 year old with you it makes things a little more difficult.  Avery did pretty climbing up and down and there were only a few spots where we had to help him.  We even did a little bushwhacking on the way up to avoid a steep section.


As you can see there is still a bit of snow up there and even ice still on the lake on the one side.  There were small snow patches around the lake in the shade and unfortunately a large snow patch of a couple feet of snow right where the geocache.  I tried digging around, but without a shovel it's pretty useless.


I don't actually have a GPS, so I was just going by memory by where the geocache was located.  I almost sure we buried in the well of a blow over tree.  Right Mike?


Oh cool, a dilapidated canoe!  Somebody dragged that thing up there where it probably got destroyed the first winter it was even there.  A fiberglass canoe with 8 feet of snow on top of it don't really mix.  Nice waste of time guys!

The hike was nice and it good to get outside in the mountains again.  I thought I would die because I'm so out of shape, but it was pretty easy.  I even got some bad ass new scratches on my legs.  We should've taken the boys up to Goldrun Lake because it is a little shorter at 1.1km and I think it is supposed to be an easier hike, but next time we'll do Fischer Peak.  They can bury me where I drop.

2 comments:

mike said...

That looks like the right spot.. a little ways around the lake and then a couple steps into the bush and under a big stump.. lol.

I wonder if the broken 2001 wireless card is still there?

Keef said...

There wireless card is gone! You sent me the link to when you put up on the website and I was reading it sometime later and some guy wrote about how he needed a wireless card, so he took it. He really hit the jackpot with that one. I'm pretty sure Cam said it actually did work, but was so old and so slow at 14.4bps.