Saturday, December 12, 2009

Craftwerk

Remember WAY back when I bought a bottle of Qoo from the Korean grocery store and said the cap looked cool and it would make a rad fridge magnet? Guess what? I didn't make it into a fridge magnet, in fact I still haven't even drank it yet. It's been in there a very long time and I'm scared to drink it now. But I did make something else into a fridge magnet.


While Murray was here he was eating lots of Old Dutch chips, McSweeney's jerky/pepperoni sticks and drinking lots of Pop Shoppe. I saved the caps and before he left I made one of the caps into a fridge magnet so he could take a little piece of Canada back to Taiwan.

Now I'm going to show you how I did it, so anyone can have one of this cool retro magnet on their fridge. You won't need much in terms of supplies just visit your local dollar store or craft store and pick up some button magnets and some all purpose glue. Then you'll need a bottle of Pop Shoppe pop (flavor of your choice) from your local grocery store. Now to get started.

The first thing you'll have to do is to open the bottle and set the cap safely aside. Don't worry, it's a twist off. Now drink the pop.


It took me a while to get this done because I had bought diet cream soda and cream soda is gross. Once you are finished be sure to recycle your bottle. Now we can really start.

Gather all your supplies someplace where you have lots of room to work. Before you start make sure the inside of the cap is clean and doesn't have leftover pop stuck on it.


You'll actually need two button magnets per one cap. The inside of the cap is too deep and one magnet isn't tall enough so you'll have to use two magnets. First glue a magnet to the inside of the cap and then glue the second magnet to it.


I used some Crazy Glue singles which are just little tiny vials of KG for when you only need to use small amounts. That way you won't use it once and then it the tip hardens over with glue and then you have to throw it out. FYI, Crazy Glue bonds to skin, so be careful. After I had finished I actually read the instructions and you only need a drop of glue per square inch for proper bonding, so I probably went a bit overboard. Doesn't matter because it worked! The glue dried pretty fast and it was on my fridge in no time.


Yes, it is on there.

That is it, you are done! Pat yourself on the back for a job well done. Also, Cam, Mike and Willie you guys can probably guess what you getting for X-mas. That's right, a bottle of Qoo.

2 comments:

mike said...

wow, great instructions Keith. I'm glad to see you took a break while doing these though, you could have strained something..

I looked up Qoo on teh interwebs, you're probably just as safe drinking it now as you ever were.

Keef said...

It's made by Coca-Cola and everyone knows Pepsi is the superior beverage.