Friday, November 13, 2009

Finally!!

I got my cupcakes! I was in Kensington today and walked down to check out The Rocket because they were having a sale. I was going to get a Cookie Monster shirt made that had Cookie Monster on it and said "Me want cookies", but of course they didn't have it. I ended up going with a Super Grover shirt instead. I headed over to the toy store where Mike got Cam's Bender figure, but didn't find anything cool. Across the street from that place is Crave the cupcake place Cam tipped me off about via Cara.

Crave has a couple locations in Calgary and I've been by the Kensington location before I just never bothered to go inside. Today I thought I'd better check it out because tomorrow I could get run over by a dump truck and be killed, then I'd be like "I wish I had tried a Crave cupcake."


I went all out and forked out my $17 for a half dozen cupcakes. Yep, $17 for six cupcakes! Some bored looked hipster chick in a toque took my order. Why was she wearing a toque inside, it's not even cold. Anyway, the first couple I ordered by name, then I started ordering by colour. "I'll take a blue one." I can't even remember which flavors I got but I think I got the following; Va Va Vanilla, Crave-O-Licous, Peppy Pattie, Lemon Lime Twist, and two Princess cupcakes(one vanilla and one chocolate). They all looked pretty good, but I wished I had got a Dirty Blonde and/or Velvet Elvis. The package came tied up with a shiny brown ribbon. I actually untied it from the package instead on cutting it off. Maybe I can reuse it for something, though I have no idea what for.


The first one I tried (for my lunch) was the green one, Lemon Lime Twist. I liked the actual "cake" part, the icing wasn't all that hot. I picked it for the colour not the flavor which was a mistake. Later on after dinner I ate a chocolate Princess which was way better. Cody had the Va Va Vanilla and it received a thumbs up from him too.


Crave cupcakes are hand made from scratch with no preservatives and taste way better than anything you'd get at an actual grocery store. The price of $17 for 1/2 dz might seem high, but it is really isn't. Still it is something I won't be running out to get all the time, but next time I do I'll be getting the Velvet Elvis.

3 comments:

mike said...

once the cupcake has enters your bloodstream you're hooked.
you should go in and stage a protest aka chain yourself to something until they make sugar free cupcakes. then you could eat them all day long.

ps, hipsters make me think of that dead milkmen song..

Keef said...

I think a sugar free cupcake is impossible right now. That kind of technology is decades away.

mike said...

they're on the list right below the jetpacks.