Saturday, October 31, 2009

Spooky stuff kids!


I drove back to Calgary today just in time to hand out candy to the dozen kids that came begging at our doorstep. That is marked improvement of last years dismal turn out of two kids. We didn't buy as much candy this year, so left over will be sparse. But I messed up when I thought I was buying a split pact of Kernels popcorn that had half white cheddar and half buttery, but turns out the entire box was white cheddar flavor. My plan was to hand out the white cheddar first and then eat the buttery flavor leftovers myself. Now I'm stuck with white cheddar which I don't even like!

The pumpkin pictured above is one Logan made for me and I brought back from Cranbrook. I guess now you don't actually put candles in pumpkins anymore because you can get battery powered lights you just put inside them. After we turned off the lights and declared Halloween officially over I immediately threw the pumpkin in the garbage bin. I didn't want to supply any troublemakers with potential ammunition.

Cranbrook was thrill-a-minutes as always! On Thursday afternoon I went by Willie's place and we hung out a bit. He was slacking off/not working/sleeping in while his wife was hard at work. Then on Thursday night I went by the Scarff household to say hi and drop off some goodies. On Friday night I went to the hockey game with my parents and was shocked when the Ice actually won the game! Every other game I've been to they lost, so I wasn't expecting much.

They are trying to beautify downtown Cranbrook by adding some art sculptures and a new sign. If you'll seen any of the old pictures of Cranbrook then you've seen the one of the old sign that led into town. It had pillars made from round river rocks on the outside and a curved sign that said "Cranbrook" that stretched of the road. They are re-creating this sign on King St as you drive into downtown. They are still working on the pillars, so I'm not sure when it'll be done.

On Thursday they had the official unveiling of the two new art features in downtown Cranbrook, the Spirit Tree and Cranbrook Ed. The Spirit Tree isn't a real tree, but some metal thing that looks tree-like. I think it's pretty lame and am rarely wrong.

Next up is the scupture of Cranbrook Ed, the elephant. I grew up Cranbrook and not once heard the story of Cranbrook Ed until a couple years ago when I read it in the Townsmen. The story goes a circus was travelling through Cranbrook and some of their elephants escaped with one living in the Jim Smith Lake area. One day some bandits came to rob the town and the townspeople all yelled for the help. The elephant heard their cries (cuz he's got big ears) and came running into town. The elephant beat up all the robbers and sat on them until the Mounties came and took them away. Cranbrook mayor, TM Roberts, poured champagne on the elephant's head and christened him Cranbrook Ed. Then he said "Let's get totally wrecked!" and everyone got hammered. The end.

You can check out the Townsmen paper online for the full story and see a picture of Cranbrook Ed. They said the elephant is interactive so you can climb on him and stuff which is cool. I was driving by and saw some fat chick sitting on him and some other girl taking a picture. Then the fat chick tried to get off which and it was scary. The end.

3 comments:

mike said...

Cranbrook ed? meh, never heard of him. But if it was in the Townsman it must be true. maybe that's where King eddy came from?

I meant to ask if you went Gt'ing in all that snow?

also, I saw last night while driving through Kelowna that they now have a FATBURGER. so Cam can go and compare with your review..

Cam said...

The most shocking part of this posting is that The Daily Townsman keeps an up-to-date website of Cranbrook news. Welcome to the nineties, Cranbrook!

Keef said...

Cam has already stated that he would not eat at Fatburger based on my "review". I didn't say it was bad, but I said it was expensive. We all know Cam has mad money, so he can afford it.