Saturday, August 15, 2009

G.I. Glow

The other day I was at Wal-Mart getting some essentials like deodorant and toothpaste when I was walking by the toy department like I always do just to "have a look". They had a big G.I. Joe display with all kinds of crap promoting the movie and I saw something that actually looked cool, a G.I. Joe flashlight. It's a flashlight, so it can actually be useful! I grabbed it and some AA batteries and rushed home. After opening I discovered that it actually took AAA batteries, not AA batteries and I bought like a 12 pack. Also, if I had bothered to read the package I would've noticed that it's a signal light, not a flashlight.


The light looks kind of like a military style flashlight with the bent head except for the blue and yellow colour. The head turns so it can be straight or at a 90 degree angle. The lens rotates to display one of five different logos; the Joe logo, the Joe symbol, the MARS logo (Destro), Cobra logo and the Arashikage logo(Snake Eyes' ninja thing). When you press the button the logos are projected in a red light which totally threw me off because the filter on the end of the light was green. Anyway, it actually works. Now I can shine the Cobra logo into the night sky and they will come to my aid!


The light isn't limited to shining symbols onto your bedroom wall, it is also a weapon! Press a button to open a hatch on the end of the signal light, then press it again to fire the missile. I fired it at Cody and it hit him, so that too works. Unfortunately, it doesn't fire hard enough to actually hurt anyone, but if they are in a bad mood it might just annoy them. To remedy this I would recommend sharping the end of the plastic "missile" to point and aim for the eyes. Now we're talking!!


Finally, the light comes with a single G.I. Joe dog tag that is plastic. Couldn't they have at least added another dog tag, so you can have a set instead of just one. You know you are going to lose one anyway, so if you only have one you are screwed when it gets lost.

This light could've been so rad had it actually been a flashlight and not a signal light. You think they would have at least added made it both and have it be able to function as a flashlight and have some signals as a bonus. Also, instead of a missile launcher there should've been a hidden knife inside the handle. Next time, I hope.

No comments: