Sunday, June 28, 2009

Yo Joe!

This summer sees the release of two movies based on classic 80's cartoons, G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra and Transformers Revenge of the Fallen. The first Transformers movie sucked and they second is supposed to be even worse. I'm scared for the G.I. Joe because it will probably just be as lame, but it should kick ass based on the source material.

Way back when Rhino and Sony Wonder released both of these on DVD, but since then they have lost the rights and the DVDs are long out of print. I had all the Transformers sets except season 4 part 2 and I have the G.I. Joe miniseries set and season 1 part 1. Now Shout! has made new sets and will have them on the shelves just it time to cash in on the movie hype! They will be released in parts like Transformers Season 1 Part 1 which is already out or you can save a little cash and buy the complete series sets with exclusive packaging and extras.

Check out http://www.gijoecollectorsset.com/ and http://www.transformerscollectorsset.com/ for all the details on extras and to see the packaging. Since I already have all the old Transformers I might just wait and pick up the second half of the final season, but I'd really like the entire G.I. Joe series. It is pretty pricey and really the best Joe episodes were the original mini series with the Weather Dominator and the MASS Device. But again the packaging is sweet as well as having some decent extra features other than character profiles. If anyone has some extra cash feel free to buy these for me.

Back in April Cartoon Network aired some new G.I. Joe shorts on it's Adult Swim line up called G.I. Joe: Resolute. They also aired on Teletoon, but I totally missed them. There were 10 five minutes episode and a 10 minute finale. Check out the website and you can see the trailer which looks kinda cool. The anime styled animation look pretty good but lets hope there are plenty of explosions. The episodes aren't on the website and since we are in Canada they can't be viewed at Adult Swim, so if you want to view one just head over to YouTube. I'm too lazy to watch it, but I read it actually has a good story, excellent animation and violent action scenes, apparently people die! I like it already. I'm sure they will be on DVD eventually anyway, but I get it on BluRay.

Transform and roll out!

2 comments:

Kate said...

There will be a 24 hour original GI Joe Marathon on TELETOON Retro on August 1.

Keef said...

Cool, thanks for the info.