Sunday, April 26, 2009

Day 2

I was kind of dreading going back to the comic expo today only because we spent so much time waiting in line on Saturday. Today we went a little earlier and there was absolutely nobody in line and we just walked right on inside. There were a fewer people inside too, but only because it was still early, it would get busier later on.

Yesterday I went and saw Mark Walton aka Rhino aka the hamster from Disney's Bolt and him to sign not one but two Blu Ray covers. One was mine and the other was going to Logan and Avery. He is mainly a storyboard artist for Disney, but they used him to do some voice work early in production and decided he was so damn good that he got the part.



I went back to bother Bryan Lee O'Malley and Hope Larson (they're married) again, this time I got Bryan to sign more Scott Pilgrim stuff and bought a page of original art. This guy was in front of me buying art and he got the page that I wanted. As he was leaving he was saying he might come back and get more and there was one page he wanted, but soon as he left I was like "I'll take that page!" Sorry chump! I also got another sketch from Bryan, but I forgot my paper at home because you had to bring your own paper. I ended up "borrowing" a piece from Fiona Staples.



Yes, I got a picture of a cat. Then I went over to Hope Larson and got her book Chiggers signed, but forgot to get another book signed by her. Oops. O'Malley commented on how he liked my t-shirt which is the brown one with the BC logo on it and he liked my bag too. I never knew I was so cool.

Next was over to Sean "Cheeks" Galloway who is mostly noted for doing the character designs on the Hellboy animated movies and the new Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon series as well as comic book work. I picked up his art book, Spread the Cheeks, and got a quickie Peter Parker/Spider-Man head sketch in the back.



I went to Frank Cho's table who is well known for drawing sexy girlies. I got a few comics signed by him and bought his art book Jungle Queens.




I went over to the Udon table and got artist Jo Chen to sign a few things and I got a small print and over to Joe Ng to sign my Street Fighter IV comic. I was "on the fence" on whether or not to get a Udon's Art of Street Fighter book of the Street Fighter Tribute book. Even though the Art of Street Fighter book had tons of sweet stuff I went with the SF Tribute because it's 300 artists doing whatever they wanted with the SF characters. It was nice to see so many different styles and interpretations in one book. I got it signed by a couple guys at the Udon booth and a few other guys in the book were at the show like Cheeks, Mark Brooks, Scott Hepburn and back again to Bryan Lee O'Malley.



On Saturday I went up to Yanick Paquette's table to get him to sign some stuff for me when I realized that I forgot to bring to his books. I then told him I forgot his stuff and he looked at me like was I was idiot. I returned today with the books, and only slightly redeemed myself.



All the while I was going around I was also getting my Calgary Comic Expo art book signed by contributors. Proceeds from the western themed book and auction of the original art go to charity or something. I didn't get everyone who contributed to the book to sign because I'm not that motivated.



And that was it! As you can see I didn't even buy a single comic book, but I still managed to spend a lot of money. I got the stuff signed that I wanted to...almost! I got home and realized to forgot to go to Terry Moore's table. Saturday was pretty busy and annoying, but Sunday was better. People were in costume, some good and some horrible. I saw a girl dressed as Crimson Viper from the new SF IV game. She wasn't a bosomy as her video game counter part, but still kinda hot. I also saw this little kid dressed as Rorschach from Watchmen. His mask was pretty cool, but he still looked a little creepy. Cody was very disorganized and I was like you should've brought for her to sign and you should've brought that for him to sign. Get your sh!t together! Next year he says he is only going for one day and not two which is cool because he was only holding me back.

2 comments:

FS said...

I bought a Scott Pilgrim page too. The part where Scott shows Ramona his apartment for the first time. "You've already seen the chair..."

Keef said...

"Wait...This is the only room?" But any page is a cool page.

Despite being at O'Malley's table on Saturday I totally didn't even see his book of Scott Pilgrim pages until I went back on Sunday. I thought they'd cost a lot more though, but he said he lowered the prices. Go recession!!