Saturday, April 25, 2009

Day 1

Here is a quick recap of day one at the Calgary Comic & Entertainment Expo told most pictures of stuff I got signed and spent my money on. The most difficult part of the show was actually getting inside the damn thing as we spent almost an hour waiting in line to get in despite having pre-bought our tickets. Not very convenient! The line up just kept going and going and going and pretty much stretched from one end of the Round Up Centre to the other end, it was totally ridiculous. By the time we got inside I already tired and my back was hurting from standing around so long.

Once inside the first table I hit up was Bryan Lee O'Malley and Hope Larson. I got a bunch of Pilgrim stuff signed Bryan and sketch which was totally free! I bought a book from Hope Larson and she commented that she liked my t-shirt which was my 70's CBC logo shirt.




That is the aforementioned free Scott Pilgrim sketch. I had to provide the paper and then busted it out in like 30 seconds but you'd never know it. Look at the detail!

After that I went Michael Golden's booth to get a few comics signed like The Nam, Star Wars, and Jackie Chan's Spartan X. I really liked the Spartan X comic but it was canceled before the storyline even wrapped up, but the good news now is that it may see print again in graphic novel form, so here's hoping! I also bought a hardcover Michael Golden sketchbook.



Next it was over to local artist Fiona Staples' table to get some stuff signed. I also got her to do a sketch. I didn't really give her anything specific to draw, so she did like a viking chick Valkyrie thing.


After wandering around looking at all the other tables and stuff for sale I stopped by Matt Stewart's table to get his artbook signed. Last year I bought Vol 1 from him and bought Vol 2 online when it came out, so I had to get it signed.



By now the crowds were getting pretty bad and certain areas were almost impassable. I kept seeing things and then couldn't find my way back to them to look at stuff again. I didn't actually buy any comics but I picked up a hardcover edition of the Kevin Smith penned Spider-Man/Black miniseries for $10. I also got a Mark Brooks sketchbook and a Hulk print from Scott Hepburn.




It is too light to see, but the Hulk print is signed and numbered in pencil at the bottom of the page at 9 of 20. I asked Scott to signed it and he was like "It's already signed." but I was like "Yeah, I need it double signed!" You can't see the pencil that well and if someone was really mean they might erase it. Now he thinks I'm idiot.

I also visited writer Ray Fawkes to get my Apocalystix signed. Turns out he not only writes but also draws and paints on the side. He prefers writing so none of his artwork has been professionally published but he does sell little watercolor paintings that look pretty sweet and I got a roller girls mini artbook called Derby Girls.


That's pretty much it. I've actually got more comics to take tomorrow to get signed and I've got my eye on a few more things I might get, mostly sketches. We will see what the crowds are like because my parents will be in town in the afternoon, so I can't spend all day there. Laters.

No comments: