Friday, April 25, 2008

More burgers...

TGIF! It seemed like this week has just crawled by, but it's Friday and I'm off for the weekend. Oh yeah, the entire weekend! I got Sunday off, but only because I asked for it and I asked for it because this weekend is the big comic show and this year they've gone to two days. I got a two day pass, but I'm not sure if I'll go both days. Last year we went and was there for a few hours and then left and after I left I was kicking myself for not picking up a couple things. If the same thing happens this year, I can always go back on Sunday. Anyway, I'll give it a write up and let you know the scoop after the weekend.

This afternoon we went and had some more burgers, this time at CB Hamburger Inn on Northland Drive NW just off of 14th St. It's not an actual restaurant, but more of a drive in like the old A&W (later Burger Island) in Cranbrook. The front has the big covered section where you can pull up and park. Nobody comes out to take your order, so you have to go inside. Inside it's pretty small with a few stools to sit while you wait for your order, but no actual place to sit and eat. There were quite a few people working in there and when I ordered my double cheese with fries and pop it was ready in no time. After we got our orders we went and sat outside at picnic table with some sun exposure. I'll remind you that it is colder here than normal and there is snow on the ground!

I'll give CB props for packaging/presentation of the food, I totally love it. They put your burger and fries in a plain old brown paper bag. The same brown bag I used to get my lunches in when I went to school, it's just this bag has translucent grease spots on it. The burger is wrapped in a plain foil wrapper, but the fries are in a pouch that reads "Best Fries At CB Drive Inn". Most small mom & pop places don't have custom cups, bags or anything like that, so I was impressed by the printed fry pouch.

Yes, I brought this fry bag home with me, it smells good.

CB's does offer combos (take that Burger Inn!) and you can even choose between pop or a slush for your drink. The fries weren't hand cut, but standard crinkle cut fries, but they put some special spice on them that makes them really good. The burger was nothing special, just the usual, but again the fries were good.

CB's does have a drive thru. I was paying at the cashier by the drive thru window and noticed this picture they had pinned on the wall and I looked closer I noticed it was autographed. I took a few seconds before I recognized the guy in the picture, but it was Paul Dunphy, the weather guy from Global channel 7. That guy isn't even a celebrity! The picture is pretty funny because of the angle it's obvious who ever took the picture was inside the CB's looking out the drive thru window and took the picture of Dunphy sitting in his car with his dog.

CB's Hamburgers gets high marks for good fries, cool packaging, and speedy service. Unfortunately, the burger could've been better and I wasn't too thrilled about sitting outside and freezing. I would eat there again, I'm already having a weird craving for more fries.

No comments: