Sunday, April 27, 2008

DAY TWO

Wow, three posts in three days! Make you scroll down to read the older posts because you don't want to be missing out on any of the excitement! I also switched up the music player, so please enjoy The Tranzmitors who are from Vancouver.

Day two of the comic show and we ended up going back and we got there early again to avoid the "crowds". This time I even showed them my ticket and get my hand stamped. I mean I paid the ticket, so I might as well use it. I thought I had done pretty much everything on Saturday and wasn't even sure if I was going to buy anything. I was totally wrong.

The Expo puts out an artbook containing western themed pictures submitted by artists attending the show and then the artwork it auctioned off. Sales from the artbook and the auctioned art is then given to the Calgary Boys & Girls Club, so it's all for charity. I picked up my book on Saturday and this year it's a hardcover and looks really good. Sunday I went to a few artists to get them sign their work in the artbook. I didn't go to all the artists because I was lazy, but I did a few of the ones I liked.



I went to see Carolyn Lawerence who does voice work in cartoons and video games. She does the voice of Sandy Cheeks in Spongebob Squarepants and in Resident Evil 4 she does the voice of Ashley Graham
.

It's a little hard to read but it says "Help me Leon!" which is pretty much Ashley's catch phrase for the entire game. I had the game and brought the cover just to get signed for the hell of it, so why not?

I went to Whilce Portacio's table to get my Batman signed and while I was there I also picked up his sketchbook.


The sketchbook is limited edition and hand numbered 233/1000. Limited edition! Hand numbered!

Yesterday, I picked up the Udon Comics 2007 sketchbook and had it sketched by Omar Dugan and last year I got the 2006 book, so just to complete my collection I got the 2005 sketchbook which Alvin Lee sketched. The deal is that if you buy any of their sketchbooks you get a free sketch from one of the artists.

BTW that would be Misty Knight from Daughters of the Dragon and Heroes For Hire.

Then I checked out Canadian artist Cameron Stewart's table. Stewart has drawn for Marvel, Dark Horse, and more recently Catwoman for DC. I picked up a sketchbook from him and it came with a head sketch.

I like sketchbooks just because they usually have limited print runs and are something you can't buy just anywhere. Usually, the only way to buy them is from the artists themselves which make them more collectible.


See what did I tell you! Two more sketchbooks, one from Kaare Andrews and the other from Dale Hayward. The picture on the front of Dale Hoyward's book is of Chewie. Chewie is cropped for the cover of the book, but there was a full size picture for sale as a print. It looked cool, but by the time I made it to his table I was poor.


So far I had been at the comic show and haven't even bought single comic! Most of the stuff I was buying was artbooks, sketchbooks, prints, art, etc. I was too lazy to actually look through any boxes or anything. I just walked around and looked at the stuff laying out that was visible. I did get that Star Wars comic for $1, but when I got home I found out I already had it. That Gen 13 #3 (Vol. 4) is the alternate cover done by Adam Warren. I actually already have it, but it was pretty cheap and it looks so good I had to have another copy.


I bought three comics at the show, but only because I felt I had to! But I did buy that Ultimate Marvel Team-Up just so I could get it signed by artist Jim Mahfood. The other book is his sketchbook numbered 191/200. Mahfood has a definite style that could sorta of be described as urban graffiti. Check out a page from his sketchbook to see what I mean.

I met Japansese Canadian Takeshi Miyazawa artist a couple times at other Calgary comic shows, but unfortunately he is currently living and working in Tokyo. Luckily a rep was there from Vancouver selling his artwork as well as art from Kaare Andrews and Steve Rolston. This was at the end of my day at the show, so I had run down my cash flow, but I still wanted a page of art from the comic Spider-Man Love Mary Jane. Any pages with Spider-Man or action cost more because they are more detailed and look better, so buying those would be out of the question. I wanted a page with Mary Jane and/or Peter Parker and ended up getting this one.
There is no action and no Spider-Man, but I still like how it looks. I guess it's more about Mary Jane and Peter. The following page was nice too, but I went with this one.

Okay, now I'm down to my last $11, but what do I spend it on?
A Star Wars sketchcard by Amy Pronovost who is from Penticton. Amy draws cartoon styled pictures and has done a lot of Star Wars work for Lucasfilm. She offers pictures done on cards (hockey cards) in pencil, inked or color. I asked for a inked Biker Scout picture as it was $10. It didn't need to be colored because stormtroopers in general are black and white, so who needs to pay extra for color! I also didn't have enough money for a colored card. She had some pre-drawn cards and cool color version of Indiana Jones.

After a few hours there and only $1 left in my pocket we called it a day. See ya next year!

No comments: